nanog mailing list archives

Re: Generation of traffic in "settled" peering arrangement

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:04:44 +0800

p.s.  The fact that the sender of traffic should be paying some portion
     of the resulting costs is not a surprise to anyone; many of the
     content companies that I've spoken to believe they already are
     paying more as traffic increases, and were quite surprised to
     find that it doesn't actually make it to the networks which
     bear the brunt of the traffic carriage.

Why don't you just resort to a bit-counting method that I suggested earlier
for settlement peering, and make the *SENDER* carry the traffic to the
'local' destination ?

That way, the sender has to build a large enough network to distribute its
traffic to the destination networks, without just presenting at one network
point and expecting destination networks to foot the inter-state / inter-country
traffic ..

?

Adrian