nanog mailing list archives

Re: Denial of service attacks apparently from UUNET Netblocks

From: Dalvenjah FoxFire <dalvenjah () dal net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 18:20:01 -0700 (PDT)

David Lesher put this into my mailbox:

I would not be surprised if the caller's phone number were logged, most
modern modem banks talk ANIS and DNIS, which if I'm remembering correctly
is basically caller ID.
doesn't seem to be an extra charge to get the data from the telco.

ANI.  Actually, it's commonly CNID, which is slightly more useful.

Just want to make sure all parties here do not think ANI == CNID.
They are different critters. You get CNID usually. Real time
ANI is available on 800 trunks, but at a cost.

I realize this is probably something one learns in Telco 101, which I
haven't taken, but if CNID == Caller ID, wouldn't ANI be *more* useful?

Or does CNID report the number regardless of Caller-ID blocking on PRI
lines/etc?

(I'm assuming that CNID == standard Caller-ID as it appears on POTS, and
that ANI == the special service that 800-lines get that *always* reports
the number, regardless of blocking..if I'm wrong, I'll accept the LART.)

-dalvenjah

--
 Dalvenjah FoxFire (aka Sven Nielsen)  College is a fountain of knowledge...
 Founder, the DALnet IRC Network       and the students are there to drink.

 e-mail: dalvenjah () dal net             WWW: http://www.dal.net/~dalvenjah/
 whois: SN90                           Try DALnet! http://www.dal.net/