nanog mailing list archives

Re: Class "B" forsale (fwd)

From: Geoff Huston <gih () telstra net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:23:45 +1000

Of course this scenario breaks down quickly..

Listed registrant A "sells" to B who "sells" to C who...

Now the sucker who "buys" from C has the problem of tracing authenticity
of the "title" C is selling. This is not easy, particularly if B is less
than scrupulous and has "sold" title to a number of folk including
C, or if C is unscrupulous and is "selling" without have concluded
and transaction with B.

The Land Titles office is there for a damn fine reason. We ignore the
seeds of destructive anarchy in the IP address space at our collective
risk (or is that peril?)

regards,

  Geoff

Given the registries do not allow for outright transfers of this sort
directly (see RFC 2050), one course of action would be for the
original "owner" to sell the "right of use" of the /16.  Of course,
the appropriate action (according to RFC 2050 and historical Internet
culture) would be for the original "owner" to return address space
they don't need...

Regards,
-drc