nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ungodly packet loss rates

From: Steve Goldstein <sgoldste () nsf gov>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 07:07:09 -0400

Gord',

You said:

"... But what if the big four no longer see the need to
upgrade their bandwidth INTO and OUT OF exchange points?  what happens to
the "secondary ten" when they get some large customers who see their
packects die between Sprints mae east router and the nearest sprint
backbone POP if that pipe is over crowded. "

The argument can be made, and there might be empirical data to back it up,
that the private interconnects actually offload *at least in the short
term* the participants' pipes into the public exchange points.  For
example, if a significant fraction (1/4th to 1/3rd) of the S and M  and ...
traffic into a public exchange is S and M and ... talking among each other,
then offloading much of it at some other place might reduce the fractions
(maybe to 1/10th to 1/5th).   Of course, if their business models do not
include eventual upgrading of their pipes into public exchanges, they will
have to balance the reduced <performance|reachability> to the Internet at
large as seen by their customers against any savings from not upgrading.

(Disclaimer:  I pulled the numbers out of thin air, so anybody who quotes
them is as foolish as I  for having put numbers in writing in the first
place.)

--Steve