nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ungodly packet loss rates

From: John Curran <jcurran () bbnplanet com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 14:20:22 -0400

At 12:33 10/23/96, Robert Laughlin wrote:
As one who is living this senerio on a daily basis, I can tell you it's
frustrating and upsetting.  We have gone so far as to test the legality
of what is happening  (there *must* be someone we can sue <grin>).  Public
peering works well these days as the large networks move their traffic
off the NAPs, freeing up bandwidth for the mid to smaller networks.

The model that makes sense to me, is for the largest networks to exchange
traffic through private interconnects, and for them to treat the
aggregated NAP traffic as another large ISP.  The NAP is then used for the
2nd tier and smaller providers to exchange traffic with each other, as
well as a collection point to gather up traffic for the large networks.

Interesting model: presuming that the "aggregating exchange point"
had a sizable backbone and could engage in shortest exit routing,
there's no reason why it shouldn't work.  Of course, a _single_
exchange point can't meaningfully provide any benefit of shortest
exit routing, and would probably be treated as an extremely large
volume customer.

/John