Metasploit mailing list archives

stdapi not loading

From: ihackstuff at gmail.com (j0hnny)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:16:50 -0400

On 5/15/07, jlbrown1980 <jlbrown1980 at comcast.net> wrote:
I had this SAME exact problem and finally figured out why.  I was trying
to use metasploit just on my local network, right, and test my desktop
through attacking it with my laptop... anyways no matter what i tried on
the desktop i could not get it to connect to the SRVPORT and the SRVHOST
(for example http://192.168.1.1:8080/test), download the initial code
and then redirect itself to the LHOST and LPORT (EX.
http://192.168.1.1:4444).  It would just load about 8 or 9 components at
the SRV location and then quit as soon as its done, without touching the
LPORT.  Being bored in class today I SSH'd into my laptop from their
school winxp comp on their on network, setup the exploit and ran it.

I will set up a sniffer on both LPORT and SRVPORT, but I don't think that's it.

It ran PERFECT without a hitch!  My assumption is that you are having
the same issue I was. In my case the problem is with the system being
attacked.  It is most likely not vulnerable for whatever reason.  If it
WAS vulnerable STDAPI extension would load automatically.

The target is definitely vulnerable. I'm using the same target,
exploitable from my "working" install, but STDAPI isn't loading on
this install. One other note: I have slightly different ruby versions
on the two machines (both installed via ports FWIW) 1.8.4 on working
machine, and 1.8.6 on non working machine. Let me reiterate that I had
this problem on my working machine, but somehow resolved it. I tried
copying ext_server*.dlls to data/meterpreter directory in an attempt
to "use" them, but I got the listed error, and besides... (run on
sentence here) on my working machine I don't have to "use" when I
exploit the same machine... meterpreter loads the fs and process dlls
automatically (presumably because it's in STDAPI now, right?)...

So from that being said... the only difference which I had enough time
to write down between my home PC and School PC is the Internet Explorer
Version.  Is it possible that the ANI_LOADIMAGE_CHUNKSIZE vulnerability
has been patched and fixed in IE7?  I'm pretty sure my home computer is
SP2 not sure about the school comp, however next time I have class I
will definitely take a look.

Target is SP2, IE6. Not sure about the status of the exploit on IE7.
Thanks for the email.. still desperately working through this. I'm
really down to the wire here, which is not to say metasploit is not a
WONDERFUL thing =)