Metasploit mailing list archives

using Meterpreter , out of MSF // SQL Injection module

From: mmiller at hick.org (mmiller at hick.org)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:32:31 -0500

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 05:07:38PM -0700, Hamid . K wrote:
Hi Skape , and others
this is a 2in1 post :>

I was curious , if anyone tried to load meterpreter
library , out of framework ?
the idea was using Meterpreter , NOT just by using an
exploit inside MSF . if it`s possible to do it ( which
I doubt it`s not ) can anybody give me a hint ?

Yes, you can use meterpreter outside of Metasploit.  The code was
originally implemented entirely in C (both a functional client and a
server).  The C client is no longer maintained, but you can find the
remnents of it under src/meterpreter/source/client in the framework
distribution.  The meterpreter server simply runs in the context of a
DLL (metsrv.dll), so all you need to do is loaded this in the context of
a process and call the initialization routine with a socket that will be
used for communication.

I am aware of meterpreter being used standalone as a daemon for various
(non-exploit oriented) tasks, so it's definitely possible to use
meterpreter outside of just msf.