Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: usefulness of this tool

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 02:30:58 -0500

On Friday 17 September 2004 01:52, Neil wrote:
Another one. We have an MSSQL 2000 that is not patched too. I want to
test it. Which mSsql 2000 exploit should I use there? Oh btw, the
reason I am saying is because, I saw the new exploit codes after
executing msfupdate.

Both of the MSSQL exploits apply to SQL Server 2000 or MSDE prior to SP3.
The resolution overflow uses the UDP protocol, whereas the "hello" bug
uses TCP. I prefer to use the resolution bug, because of the broadcast
and spoofability features of UDP.

Regarding your question about the output; if the exploit works, you should
see a command shell, if it doesn't, the handler will simply exit and
return back to the prompt. If the exploit you selected is not working and
you are 100% sure that the system is vulnerable, try the 'check' command.
If this command does not produce anything useful, send an email to this
mailing list with the details of the target system and the output of
"show options" from the msfconsole shell (immediately after the exploit
failed).

-HD