Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Digital Destruction Was Worst Imaginable

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:47:01 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Robert G. Ferrell <rferrell () texas net>

The implications of the damage at the WTC are in no way overstated.
All infrastructure is regional. And the main switching station in
NYC was a key facility, the loss of which the US national security
community has never before had to deal with -- this comes directly
from the director of the National Communications System.

What I don't get is why, knowing from past events and copious
intelligence indications that the WTC was going to be a major target
because it symbolizes the American military-industrial complex in the
minds of some terrorist groups, so much of the 'regional
infrastructure' was located there.  Was it arrogance, stupidity, or
ignorance? "Because it was convenient" certainly doesn't hold any
water, either.

I would have thought that after the bombing in 1993 the authorities
would have distributed much of the existing WTC communications
infrastructure, or at least dramatically increased the redundancy and
failover capabilities thereof.  At any rate, it should have been
fairly obvious that placing mission-critical systems in a declared
terrorist target was, to say the least, a Bad Thing.

Bomb me once, shame on you.  Bomb me twice, shame on me.

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell
rferrell () texas net
http://rferrell.home.texas.net/rgflit.html

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.