Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Digital Destruction Was Worst Imaginable

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 03:43:51 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Rob Rosenberger <junkmail () barnowl com>

  >>I for one know where my local Infragard outreach coordinator
  >>was, he was contacting members within minutes of the attack
  >>and kept us up to date with everything that was going on.

Don't confuse a successful outreach program with FBI NIPC's previous
incompetent administration.  Director Michael Vatis co-opted Infragard
just to make him & his cronies look good.  Idiot savant Richard
Clarke, speaking at a Senate hearing last month -- a hearing I
attended, by the way -- all but admitted Vatis got fired before 9/11.
And Clarke further stressed FBI NIPC completed an all-important
management shakeup after 9/11.

I've gone on the record multiple times as a strong supporter of
Infragard. Vatis co-opted it for all the *wrong* reasons but, after
Ron Dick took the helm, he made a strong effort to co-opt it for all
the *right* reasons.

  >>Negativism of this sort is based on a lack of knowledge,
  >>become involved and you will see that the government was

I'll make two vague assumptions from your one lone message.  First:
you perhaps only know FBI NIPC via Infragard.  Second: you perhaps
don't know how much I cover FBI NIPC (no big deal).

As for the former, I hope you'll visit http://www.fbi-nipc.info when
you get a chance.  It'll increase your knowledge.

As for the latter, I've got a not-so-disgruntled-anymore source
sitting inside HQ FBI NIPC, not to mention two sources (one high, one
low) who regularly had to put up with Vatis.  (And Clarke.)

It took an enormously embarrassing low-tech infrastructure attack to
force FBI NIPC to focus on their true presidential charter.  They
still need to work a lot more on obeying their charter, but at least
they pay something more than lip service to it these days.  I mean
absolutely NO insult when I say "9/11 was the best thing to happen to
Dick's reign at FBI NIPC."

Do we need a National Infrastructure Protection Center?  You bet.
Oklahoma City proved it.  Do we need a National *Internet* Protection
Center?  You bet.  Nothing has yet proved its need, but it'll come
someday.  Right now, though, I'm a tad more concerned about Osama bin
Laden, not Osama bin Virus. I can't restore my family from backups,
knowhatImean?

It pains me to see FBI agents working to find website defacers and
drawing guns on 14yr-old keyboard surfers when they should be working
to find sleeper cells and drawing guns on 28yr-old Al Qaeda suspects.

  >>I can back this up with 370 members of our local
  >>infrastructure group.

You win on scale, Mike.  Our Des Moines, IA Infragard chapter sucks by
comparison.

Rob

PS: why don't you look me up in your database.  You'll find me at
    First Command since 1984.  Don't worry: Donald Gene Burleson
    didn't delete my record in 1987.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.