Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Digital Destruction Was Worst Imaginable

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:46:47 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Dan Verton <Dan_Verton () computerworld com>

Let me set the record straight for the naysayers. As a former
intelligence officer, I am certainly not one to overstate cyber
events. However, here are the facts, a few of which I have agreed not
to disclose publicly (so I'll have to walk around them).

First of all, the "deaf, dumb and blind" analogy is no overstatement.
This is from an interview with a senior official who was with the
president at the time of the attacks. I have agreed not to disclose
the details for national security reasons.

The implications of the damage at the WTC are in no way overstated.
All infrastructure is regional. And the main switching station in NYC
was a key facility, the loss of which the US national security
community has never before had to deal with -- this comes directly
from the director of the National Communications System.

If you know anything about national security, you would know the
importance of keeping the financial markets online. Each day they
remained down (with the notable exception of NASDAQ), was one day
closer to reaching a much worse disaster for the country. The
president himself called the director of the NCS and ordered that Wall
Street be placed as the next priority behind search and rescue.

While it is true that other parts of the country were relatively
unaffected, that in now way diminishes the threat that faced the
nation due to the comms destruction at the WTC sight, nor does it
account for the mass confusion and blindness [my words, based on
confidential interviews] that the national command authority was
dealing with on that day.

Dan Verton

InfoSec News <isn () c4i org> on 03/09/2002 04:49:00 AM

Please respond to InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>