Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft to Blame for 'Love Bug'?

From: Grant Bayley <gbayley () AUSMAC NET>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 03:19:16 +1000

section of desktop to another.  He does not want Unix.  I work for a college
in which fully 80% of the on-campus VCR's are still flashing 12:00.  We do
not want Unix.  We want Windows.  We want the blasted Word Paperclip.  Long
ago I read a passage about the folly of allowing a "computer guy" to build
and configure an average home user's workstation.  To anyone without a clue,
flexibility isn't a panacea, it's a curse.

Wouldn't it be nice if those VCRs had a nominally accurate internal clock
as do most computers and out of the box, had correct local time and date.

In the same way, take your copy of Windows and use it.  No dispute there.
Wouldn't it be nice, though, if it came configured reasonably securely,
ensuring even the most virulent virus or trojaned .exe file could not
operate without first warning the user of it's consequences or preventing
it from altering critical parts of the system.

You can call it hand-holding or whatever, but if Windows had been secured
in the first place, out of the box, the problem could not have propagated
or had such a devastating effect on those too lazy or "slow" to look
beyond the dancing paperclip.

Grant Bayley