Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft to Blame for 'Love Bug'?

From: The Badger <badger () LIZA ST-ELIZABETH EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:36:38 -0400

  Sucks that Windows is the market leader, eh?  I suppose my point is this:
Unix advocates will squalk and preach themselves blue in the face about
vulnerabilities in Windows and MS products in general.  They will work
themselves into tizzies about the superiority of their little penguins, and
they may do so with good reason.  They may even slap on some SPF 200, emerge
from their caves, and burn Billy Gates in effigy.  Windows is still the
market leader.  Your boss (who still uses a mouse with two hands), does not
want Unix.  The HR director can't deal with having an icon dragged from one
section of desktop to another.  He does not want Unix.  I work for a college
in which fully 80% of the on-campus VCR's are still flashing 12:00.  We do
not want Unix.  We want Windows.  We want the blasted Word Paperclip.  Long
ago I read a passage about the folly of allowing a "computer guy" to build
and configure an average home user's workstation.  To anyone without a clue,
flexibility isn't a panacea, it's a curse.

*pant*.. *pant*

-badger