Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft to Blame for 'Love Bug'?

From: Barry H Gill <barry () UUNET CO ZA>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 19:46:14 +0200

The Dodger Wrote:

I was under the impression that Outlook 2000 automatically ran the
ILOVEYOU VBScript attachment when it previewed the mail (i.e. as it does
automatically in the preview pane). In other words, the user didn't have
to open the attachment.

Fortunately, I can't be certain of this, because my company hasn't had any
problems with ILOVEYOU, so perhaps someone else could confirm/deny this?

I run Office 2000 unfortunately and am sad to see people defending such a
flagrnt disregard from the part of Microsoft when we all discuss these
issues.
Outlook, Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000 have a feature called the Preview Pane.
Any embedded scripts, .vbs, .hta etc will BY DEFAULT be run automatically
when a message is previewed.
To disable this feature is extremely simple but has to be done once Internet
Explorer 5 (another great web disaster) has been installed as it installs a
Windows Scripting Host which is enabled by default. For what?
So that users can have a look at some pretty embedded MS features when
browsing smut? The worm poses a risk to users that have Windows Scripting
Host (including Win '98 users, users who have installed IE 5.x in default
mode, users who have installed WSH specifically, and probably users of
Windows 2000)

So ja, it becomes a big question of who is fooling who.

Do we ALWAYS have to spend the extra dollars purchasing Firewalls with
E-Mail virus and maliscious script scanners? How much faith do we put in the
vendors that create the perpetual loop of resource wasting while there are
so many different beneficial things we could utilise our resources on?

I for one would be most grateful if I could nuke my notebook but as it is
Corporate Property and has to conform to the requirements of the Company, I
will continue to use what I have to and run my own private boxes as I see
fit.

Getting the Great Microsoft Marketing Machine to accept any responsibility
for its shortsighted irresponsibility (look at the security loopholes in
Windows 2000 Professional, a desktop designed not for home use but for
corporate work environments) is going to be an impossibly long and drawn out
task with the embattled few fighting against millions.

The only way out of it all is to become a vendor of superior products that
assist in closing the potentially harmful holes that MS seem loathe to admit
exist.

My two cents worth

<Ignorance used to be Bliss>

ISN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".