Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft to Blame for 'Love Bug'?

From: The Dodger <dodger () 2600 COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 0100 07:20:06 -0400

Craig Williams wrote:
I think this is a lame attempt to pass blame.
[...]
Are we supposed to now disable the running of exe files, I
think not ;)

JJ Gray wrote:
How long will it take for people to think for a second before
blindly double-clicking on an attachment?

I was under the impression that Outlook 2000 automatically ran the
ILOVEYOU VBScript attachment when it previewed the mail (i.e. as it does
automatically in the preview pane). In other words, the user didn't have
to open the attachment.

Fortunately, I can't be certain of this, because my company hasn't had any
problems with ILOVEYOU, so perhaps someone else could confirm/deny this?

D.

ISN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".