Interesting People mailing list archives

Re How the Spies Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Fitbit

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 22:42:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: L Jean Camp <ljeanc () gmail com>
Date: February 4, 2018 at 5:30:13 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re How the Spies Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Fitbit

I went through the settings to see how to make Strava use private. This is what I read.

To prevent your data being shared by Strava, require seven options on at least three screens, plus the initial
"Choose Enhanced Privacy". But   "Choose Enhanced Privacy is just a start.

Hide Activities From Leaderboards,
 Change your FlyBy Options

without those turned off, even with enhanced privacy on, you will still sometimes post your photo, name & run
publicly, and will do so based on the activities of others. Particularly if there are only a few people running a
route (*small base cough cough*) so that there is an isolated local Leaderboard.

Then there is another screen....
ON Privacy Zones
OFF Training Log Sharing
OFF Strava Metro & Heatmap Data Sharing

 after you have turned everything else *off* you need the following *on* or your data will be shared with PII as part
of the group.
 ON Enable Group Activity Enhanced Privacy,

ON Followers & Block Athletes
 "one you've blocked will be able to see your activity entry in public areas like segment leaderboards, club feeds,
and segment explore."

Blocking *only* means
"the blocked athlete will not be able to access your activity or profile page if they click on your entry."

So a very pro-stalked feature design there. You choose enhanced privacy. You block someone. Annnnd they can view your
"leaderboards, club feeds, and segment explore" which I believe means where you run often that others do not, when
you hang with your friends and when you do something new.

Of course no one uses these controls correctly. The controls are scattered around, the words "blocked" and "privacy"
are argle bargle.

Don't blame the victims!

Prof. L. Jean Camp
http://www.ljean.com