Interesting People mailing list archives

Re How the Spies Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Fitbit

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 15:39:40 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 7:38 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re How the Spies Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Fitbit
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

(for IP, if you wish)

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:24:28AM +0000, DV Henkel-Wallace wrote:
My reading of the English, French and German texts is that you have
to proactively give consent for the processing of your data.  And even if
the data are pseudonymised (as happens in one of Strava's modes), you
still
have to consent.

Just because Strava says the data is pseudonymised doesn't mean that it
really is.  (Spoiler alert: it probably isn't.)

There's a terrific paper by Arvind Narayanan of Princeton that's become
one of the must-reads in this area:

        A Precautionary Approach to Big Data Privacy
        http://randomwalker.info/publications/precautionary.pdf

And as Cory Doctorow explains here:

        An incredibly important paper on whether data can ever be
"anonymized" and how we should handle release of large data-sets
        https://boingboing.net/2018/02/01/high-dimensional-data.html

and as I've been saying for years, anonymization is HARD.  The field
is rife with examples of smart people who've made credible tries and
have still failed miserably.

---rsk