Interesting People mailing list archives

Re JetBlue Tries "Textbook" Boarding Process - But Is It Doomed to Fail?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:03:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross.stapletongray () gmail com>
Date: October 23, 2017 at 3:48:56 PM EDT
To: DAVID FARBER <dave () farber net>, jonathan.spira () accuramediagroup com
Subject: Re: [IP] JetBlue Tries "Textbook" Boarding Process - But Is It Doomed to Fail?

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 12:13 PM, jonathan.spira () accuramediagroup com wrote:

JetBlue is rolling out what scientists believe to be a textbook-perfect boarding process.  Passengers with rear
window seats will be the first to board, followed by those in the rear middle seats and forward window seats and so
on.
This means that passengers traveling together in the same row can't board together of course, which will generate
some ill will towards the airline (it actually already has, based on what I'm hearing).

I really hate that first sentence. "Textbook-perfect" means, what? Here, it sounds like, "When reduced to an
artificially simple equation, this is optimal." But in addition to generating ill will, breaking up groups traveling
together is almost certain to increase friction in the flow of passengers, as, say, a child boarding first will need
to wait for a parent to stow a carry-on for them in the overhead bin. It may be that boarding known clusters of
passengers together would be a better strategy, but I'd advise JetBlue to do some actual research. If it's boarding
thousands of flights a day, try an alternative approach in some airports, and measure the results.

And there are lots of potential variables here, e.g., the entitled boor who stows his overhead luggage in row 8
before moving back to sit in row 20.

Of course, in this era of mass surveil^h^h^h^h^h^h^hcustomer relations management, it may be possible to build a
profile on each air traveler, and dynamically assign boarding positions based on fine-grained factors, e.g., later
boarding for introverts who aren't going to actively complain about inconvenience.

More than a decade ago I wrote a thinkpiece on the future opportunities for data collection and analysis offered by
more ubiquitous surveil^h^h^h^h^h^h^hcustomer relations collection, more focused on RFID, but as apropos to, say, a
camera sighting down the aircraft aisle and able to collect on and characterize boarding passenger behavior:
http://stapleton-gray.com/papers/scenarios.pdf  That (dirt cheap) camera, which would serve to help resolve any
security incidents, could also be readily mined for behavioral data to better optimize boarding, or to build a deeper
dossier on the occupant of Seat 34A, or any of a host of other things.

I'm reminded also of David Lodge's "Small World," where Cheryl, an airline check-in attendant, assigns seats based on
how she imagines the pairings will work out, and, when she falls for academic Persse, assigns him a seat between two
nuns for safekeeping.

Ross

Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.
Albany, CA