Interesting People mailing list archives

Re US government starts asking foreign travelers to disclose their social media accounts

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 14:03:36 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: December 26, 2016 at 9:51:23 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re US government starts asking foreign travelers to disclose their social media accounts

(for IP, if you wish)

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 12:16:49PM -0500, Herb Lin wrote:
What is to prevent a would-be terrorist from creating a second social
media account that is scrubbed to be innocuous and providing the name
of that account to CBP authorities?

What is to prevent someone from creating a social media account in
another person's name -- so that it will be the first hit in the results of
even a perfunctory search -- and loading it up with incriminating material?

Thus leading to: (1) "You lied to us about not having an account..."
followed by (2) "...and it's full of terrorist material" and subsequently
(3) detention, interrogation, etc.

Cardinal Richelieu anticipated this form of security theater a long time ago:

   Qu'on me donne six lignes Ă©crites de la main du plus honnĂȘte
   homme, j'y trouverai de quoi le faire pendre.  (If one would
   give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man,
   I would find something in them to have him hanged.)

----rsk