Interesting People mailing list archives

re Who Confirms The Accuracy (or is it precision) Of ISP Usage [sic] Meters?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:41:34 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <bob2-39 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 13, 2010 3:18:36 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, 'ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Who Confirms The Accuracy (or is it precision) Of ISP Usage [sic] Meters?

I agree that the precision of the count is not the issue. (Remember precision and accuracy are not the same thing).

It's the question of what is being counted. I could go on with the many ways in which counting bits past a carrier constriction point is a perverse measure. There is packets vs. bits, carrier bits vs. user bits, compression, cashing, look ahead s well as the choice of where to meter.

The deeper issue is our willingness to accept the bad metaphor that leads us to think we are using up the "Internet" as if we were consuming electricity.