Interesting People mailing list archives

re MUST READ: Google may end China operations over data breach

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:29:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic () gmail com>
Date: January 13, 2010 5:27:04 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] MUST READ: Google may end China operations over data breach

Brett Glass writes:

What I find extremely interesting is that Google is protesting censorship by the Chinese government but is willingly cooperating with the Indian government to censor not only searches but also online discussions ....

This comment seems to miss an important dimension of Google's announcement -- to wit, Google is *not protesting censorship* (which Google, like all information services providing content in the PRC, must allow), but a "highly sophisticated and targeted attack" (per CNN) aimed at obtaining the e-mail accounts of Chinese human-rights activists.

That Google is protesting this attack by refusing to accommodate any longer a censorship regime may be taken by some uncritical readers as Google taking a stand against censorship, but in reality it seems to be the case that Google is taking a stand against privacy violations and compelled disclosure of (information relating to) e- mail accounts. Evils, to be sure, but not the same as censorship.

This inconsistency makes one wonder ....

It seems to me to be an inconsistency only if one doesn't understand the legal issues involved. This action in the PRC seems to be only incidentally about a censorship regime, whose demands on Google the company has taken some pains to make transparent before now.

The cynical view is that Google is making some kind of calculated business decision that it's choosing to characterize as a protest against censorship. My own view is that Google's making a reasonable business decision *and also* doing a good thing -- in effect, killing two birds with one stone.

--Mike