Interesting People mailing list archives

re The Economist's take on Google

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:04:05 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Levy <plevy () citizen org>
Date: January 13, 2010 3:58:37 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] The Economist's take on Google

Sorry to be a bit cynical here, but my cynicism is a bit different from those who are speculating that Google is reacting to its inability to make headway vis a vis Baidu.

Google says it may pull out of China. Maybe that will happen, or maybe Google concluded that it needed to make a public play preparatory to striking a new or different deal with the Chinese Government about a range of issues, not just censorship but also protection against attacks.

Meanwhile, we can celebrate Google for its stand against the various abuses that it has cited. Companies don't always have the purest of motives for doing the right thing, but that need not mean that we should stint on gratitude when they do.

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group
1600 - 20th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009
(202) 588-1000
http://www.citizen.org/litigation

David Farber <dave () farber net> 1/13/2010 2:18 PM >>>

Begin forwarded message: