Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: pros and cons of proposed Google Book settlement

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:51:51 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: January 13, 2010 3:38:37 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: edward () hasbrouck org
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: pros and cons of proposed Google Book settlement

I have arranged to videotape the NYC workshop, and it may also be webcast live.

From: "Edward Hasbrouck" <edward () hasbrouck org>
Date: January 13, 2010 1:44:55 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

IPers may also be interested in this FAQ from the National Writers Union:

http://www.nwubook.org/NWU-GBS2-FAQ.html

In advance of the Jan. 28 opt in / opt out deadline, the NWU is also
organizing public informational events for writers with legal experts
(including Pam Samuelson, James Grimmelmann, Lynn Chu, and Cindy Cohn) and other witers' groups about the revised settlement proposal in New York
City on Wednesday, Jan. 20, and in Berkeley, CA, on Friday, Jan. 22:

http://www.nwubook.org/NWU-GBS2-events.html

While some people may think they aren't affected because they don't write
"books", the definition of "book" in the settlement also includes
offprints of articles, articles in irregular serials, monographs,
chapbooks, ephemera, unpublished dissertations, etc. In my own case, I Google classified a 20-page article, word processed and photocopied on 8 ½
by 11 inch paper, with a staple in the corner, as a "book".

Edward Hasbrouck
<edward () hasbrouck org>
<http://hasbrouck.org>
+1-415-824-0214

--
Joly MacFie  917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com