Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Plans to Build Ultra High-Speed Broadband Networks

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:38:04 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: ken <ken () new-isp net>
Date: February 14, 2010 5:11:25 AM EST
To: George Ou <George.Ou () digitalsociety org>
Cc: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Google Plans to Build Ultra High-Speed Broadband Networks

George,

If you reread my initial post you will see that I did include a cost for
"homes passed" but labeled it as "backhaul" which is the terms we use in
the WISP industry. In an off-list exchange that Bob Frankston and I are
having I clarified that the $5K number includes one mile of 144 strand
fiber as well as two men and a Ditch Witch. Additionally, Jaguar
mandates a target of one mile of fiber trenched per team per day.

Now, if we use the what used to be Adelphia Cable's model of 14 homes
per mile for a minimum adoption rate, we find that each house has a cost
of $358 assigned to is for that individual mile. If we then assume that
1 mile of backhaul needs to be run to bring connectivity to any given
location that number doubles, bringing the cost to slightly over $700/home.

Turning to the point you made about Google cherry picking locations, the
only point I can think of making is, how is this any different from
Verizon's redlining or what AT&T is doing with their FTTN deployments?

Any business, at least any business that will survive, needs to minimize
their costs and deploy in locations that will provide the best ROI and
then move to the neighborhoods that provide a marginal ROI until
whatever threshold the company sets is hit. I would posit that Google is
no different, except that they are raising the bar and I seriously doubt
they are doing it with the aim of making money directly from this exercise.

Respectfully,

Ken DiPietro
Ellerslie MD