Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Plans to Build Ultra High-Speed Broadband Networks

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:45:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Faulhaber, Gerald" <faulhabe () wharton upenn edu>
Date: February 10, 2010 9:14:49 PM EST
To: Charles Jackson <clj () jacksons net>
Cc: "'David Farber'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Google Plans to Build Ultra High-Speed Broadband Networks

Well, if we have a charitable organization willing to lose money on broadband distribution, fantastic!  We’ll let
search advertising subsidize infrastructure.  I’m all for that; but then I don’t own any Google stock.

My point re: CLECs is that a firm actually needs to have real experience in local distribution networks to make them
work (i.e., run with reasonable reliability, not break down due to weather and poor outside plant, not have the fiber
chewed up be squirrels, not have repeaters used for target practice, all the boring stuff that network guys know and
Silicon Valley guys don’t), not just money to throw at the problem.  When they’ve successfully trenched 5,000 miles of
fiber under city and suburban streets and it actually operates for a year without failure, then they might have some
network cred.

Professor Emeritus Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Professor Emeritus of Law
University of Pennsylvania