Interesting People mailing list archives

Internet still reshaping history

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:53:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Lynch <dan () lynch com>
Date: September 9, 2009 12:24:19 EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Don Nielson <nielsonz () pacbell net>, funh () pobox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Internet still reshaping history

Well, the Internet as a technological demonstration began in 1977 at SRI
with demos of the Packet Radio Net to the Arpanet.  The image of the
travelling baker truck going down 101 with Geoff Goodfellow at the keyboard
still resonate in my mind.

As a service, I mark 1/1/83 as the birth of the Internet when the DOD
stopped shipping old Arpanet packets around and only allowed for IP packets.

Dan