Interesting People mailing list archives

Internet still reshaping history

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:06:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: September 8, 2009 9:57:08 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Internet still reshaping history

I have to take issue with some of Vint's recollections, based on documented historical accounts and direct contact with other parties involved. First one correction to my previous comment: the IMP never was an IP router, as I erroneously claimed; it was used, at some point, as an "IP relay" that carried TCP/IP packets over the ARPA subnet. The IMP code wasn't modified for this application, it simply treated IP as payload, much as Ethernet and Sonet do today.

I didn't say that Vint copied CYCLADES, I said the *architecture* that Pouzin et. al. developed for CYCLADES was used by the datagram networks that followed him, including TCP/IP and DECnet; not just sliding windows, but the notion of a sliding window, serializing, virtual circuit transport protocol running over a datagram protocol at the network layer. Arguably, it actually might have been better for the Internet if they had simply used TS/Cigale verbatim instead of going with something of their own invention: We would have had a world- wide network with interoperable protocols much sooner, and we wouldn't have all these addressing-based anomalies on the Internet. CYCLADES, DECnet, XNS, and ISO all gave the host an address apart from the addresses of its subnetwork points of attachment; TCP/IP doesn't, and that causes a number of problems with multi-homing and mobility that are causing BGP table size to explode. CYCLADES, DECnet, and the others were also capable of handling congestion without going into meltdown. TCP/IP's unique solutions to the addressing and congestion problems are proof that it wasn't a copy of TS/Cigale.

The cooperation of BBN and IRIA took place pursuant to an actual contract. If Vint doesn't remember it, that's of no particular significance since he wasn't a party to it. People from both the IRIA and BBN teams have confirmed that they worked together on the CYCLADES architecture.

Regarding 1983, my point is simply that many sites were already running TCP long before NCP was finally shut down. And yes, implementing TCP and IP in a number of host operating systems was hard work; there was a panel discussion on it at Sigcomm in about 82 or so that I attended, with Bill Joy and some others talking about how hard it was to implement some of the features TCP and IP demanded, such as checksums and byte streams and MBUFs. My only issue is that by the time NCP was officially dead, it had already been dwindling for quite some time.

I notice that the "official" history credits Kleinrock with inventing packet-switching; I won't comment further on this claim except to say that people who care should read Davies' paper "An Historical Study of the Beginnings of Packet Switching" (The Computer Journal, Vol. 44, No. 3, British Computer Society, 2001). It's all there.

RB

Begin forwarded message: