Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Internet still reshaping history

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:04:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <bob2-39 () bobf frankston com>
Date: September 7, 2009 11:18:30 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Internet still reshaping history

Let’s not forget Memex as a big idea about information sharing. The CNet story focuses on the impact not the technology. Most of the real discussion is about the social Internet not the underlying protocols.

I too am very aware of the differences between the ARPANET and the Internet and share the concern about PR-driven history. But let’s be careful about what we are celebrating. What they have in common is the ability to simply connect computers across organizational and institutional boundaries. In a sense the Internet addressed a scaling problem faced by the Arpanet.

I would argue that the more significant transition has been from an academic (and government and a porous boundary) network to public infrastructure. Here we don’t have the convenience of a name change to mark the transition. This transition is about economics.

We got the web because of economics – the ability to communicate at zero (marginal) cost. We mustn’t let our focus on the technology make us lose sight of this aspect. We may have transitioned the technology of the Internet to the larger public arena but I argue we lost some of its soul.

At least the change between the Arpanet and the Internet was marked by a name change. We associate “The Internet” with the NoN (Network of Networks) Internet. We need to recognize that we are moving to the AC (Ambient Connectivity) Internet and that is something very different. (If we don’t let ourselves get sidetracked by the Broadband Internet).

What is important as we look ahead is less the Arpanet vs the Internet than different concepts of “Internet”.

In the meantime if people want to argue history have fun with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet .

http://frankston.com/public