Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: ICANN: Pay Now, Maybe Get a New Top-Level Domain Later

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:23:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: November 3, 2009 9:04:45 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: ICANN: Pay Now, Maybe Get a New Top-Level Domain Later

Wait a minute. I *want* ".reed". Just like I wanted "reed.com". Not to get rich by trading it or treating it as a moneymaking "beachfront property". I just want it, if I can have it. Admittedly there are people who think I've been nuts to turn down offers to purchase it that have been pretty substantial (and also offers to purchase it by people who appear to want it because they have the same last name I do).

I say this because the idea that domain naming should be viewed as a mere "marketplace" is interesting. Dave Farber probably knows about 10 companies who have expressed interest in a DNS name that means "marker" or "pen" or "pencil" auf Deutsch. I bet Dave would like a TLD called ".farber".

So this is not a tempest in a teapot. It's real... it just is one of those things that people who have "POWER" (all caps) want to be able to force on everybody. In this case, the Intellectual Property Bar. And they'll litigate to get their way, and buy politicians and so forth to get their way. Because apparently "trademarks" are more important than my wish for a little expressivity.

Ultimately, it's the same reason I can't have waiters sing "Happy Birthday" to my children in restaurants. I have no power, and the big "machers" do.