Interesting People mailing list archives

ICANN: Pay Now, Maybe Get a New Top-Level Domain Later

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 06:28:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: October 31, 2009 6:55:48 PM EDT
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] ICANN: Pay Now, Maybe Get a New Top-Level Domain Later

ICANN: Pay Now, Maybe Get a New Top-Level Domain Later

http://bit.ly/3Gu80G  (eWeek Europe)

I'll be very clear about this.  I feel that generally speaking, the
current focus on more generic/global TLDs is a virtually total waste
of resources, replete with enormous risks for frauds and confusion,
plus political and other chicanery.  In the final analysis, the whole
concept basically now amounts to little more than a mechanism to
squeeze vast new sums of money out of parties viewing new gTLDs from
both prospective and protective standpoints.

TLDs are now in many ways a form of "ancient" technology, that are
creating problems for todays's Internet, not solving them.  How many
sites do you know that block *all* e-mail from dot-info?  How many
people on the street have ever heard of dot-mobi?

There are so many important issues that we *need* to deal with for the
global Internet.  Frankly, the entire gTLD expansion concept as
currently championed by today's ICANN strikes me as just one notch
short of a scam.  Maybe not even a notch.

--Lauren--
NNSquad Moderator