Interesting People mailing list archives

ICANN: Pay Now, Maybe Get a New Top-Level Domain Later

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:04:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: November 2, 2009 12:44:58 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] ICANN: Pay Now, Maybe Get a New Top-Level Domain Later

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>

... I feel that generally speaking, the
current focus on more generic/global TLDs is a virtually total waste
of resources...

While I agree with Lauren that nearly every one of the huge number of people and organizations that want a TLD of their own could do what they want under a name under an existing TLD. And much disappointment is in store to those those believe that if they can get a TLD that they will somehow be the grantee of the kind of gift that the US and ICANN gave to Verisign.

But there is a much larger issue.

The issue is this: Who set us up as petty gods to say what the internet shall be or shall not be?

There is no doubt that ICANN is itself a very heavy regulatory body. However, even the ICANN policy glacier moves. What Lauren suggests is immobility and redlines part of the internet as off-limits even for completely lawful activities.

Freedom requires that we allow people room to do things that we might consider a waste of time and effort, even frivolous.

Several years ago I came up with this formulation of what I consider the proper way to evaluate the balance between use and constraint on the net:

 First Law of the Internet

+ Every person shall be free to use the Internet in any way that is
 privately beneficial without being publicly detrimental.

  - The burden of demonstrating public detriment shall be on those who
    wish to prevent the private use.

- Such a demonstration shall require clear and convincing evidence
        of public detriment.

- The public detriment must be of such degree and extent as to justify
    the suppression of the private activity.

http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000059.html

                --karl--