Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: ICANN: Pay Now, Maybe Get a New Top-Level Domain Later

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:11:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis:Law and Technology Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com >
Date: November 2, 2009 9:47:37 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, lauren () vortex com
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] ICANN: Pay Now, Maybe Get a New Top-Level Domain Later

Dave,

I find it hard to disagree with much of Lauren's analysis. But if there is a problem, and if the problem that exists is the reason that Lauren thinks gTLD expansion is not wise, then why not fix the problem? The problem was created by policy decisions. ICANN is in the policy-decision business, no? Fix the problems and the reasons to not spend energy on gTLD expansion go away. The core idea of not binding netizens to use English and our character set for identifiers is a good one, right? Yes .info is a problem. But at the global level, whole countries are problems and some get blacklisted by decent countries at some time. That is appropriate behaviour at the international level. Did we use the fact that there were bans/ sanctions against countries as a reason to get rid of the country system?

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec