Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING phone tax on a wifi

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:48:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: May 21, 2009 12:37:15 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "'Craig Partridge'" <craig () aland bbn com>
Subject: RE: [IP] phone tax on a wifi

Of course … these sillinesses are a reminder of how we reuse stories and avoid real change.

Verizon is a phone company and the phone number is the account key – like in the days when CompuServe used PDP-10 octal disk addresses as the user ID. It’s why ATT failed to make a go of the credit card business and why their billing engine gave us 900 numbers only usable for porn and psychic hotlines. I’ve already written about the Verizon One-Bill debacle that lacks the information necessary to diagnose problems.

But it’s not just the telcos – it’s the entire concept of the FCC that is premised on the idea that hauling bits is no different from hauling grain. As the FCC’s own history notes it’s modeled on the ICC (Interstate Commerce Commission). People have said the railroads should’ve run the airlines but they couldn’t – they were rolling stock companies and if they had planes it’s likely the ICC would’ve required a fireman in each cab just like they required them for diesel trains. (http://frankston.com/?name=Railroads ). This is no different than treating Mi-Fi bits as phone calls with all the regulatory burden thereof. In fact the whole protocols underneath those bits force them into the complexities of cellular so that they each one can be carefully corralled into a billable channel.

This is why corporations are expendable units and you don’t have to take a very specialized service company and turn it into something entirely different even if you can find the skills and technology buried within the carriers.

Dan Bricklin’s new book notes that even the telcos had difficulty making the transition from being telegraphy companies (AT&T – American Telephone and Telegraph) – we still use message units! Telegraphy was a business service while telephony was a social phenomenon and was “abused” for frivolous purposes.

The question is why do we try so darn hard to resist change and force new ideas like the Internet’s connectivity into an old ill-fitting broken mold like broadband? And why we try so hard to treat bits like scarce consumables – as if we confused money with shiny pieces of gold baubles and starved the economy of both resources.

But remember that today’s Internet itself is the demo and the accidental properties like the IP address are just part of the demo and not intrinsic…