Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Book-Scanning Pact to Give Libraries a Say in Price - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:47:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: May 21, 2009 11:04:29 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Google Book-Scanning Pact to Give Libraries a Say in Price - NYTimes.com

Dave, and everyone:

I am astonished by the entire Google book licensing scheme.

Section 8 of the US Constitution says that I, as an author, am entitled to be granted the exclusive rights to my work for a limited (although constantly expanding) period of time. It does NOT authorize the government to grant rights to that work to any third party. Doing so would not only exceed the powers granted to Congress by the Constitution (and thus be unconstitutional), but would also be an unconstitutional "taking" under the 5th Amendment.

I am astonished that the government would even consider granting to a single corporation -- most especially Google -- the exclusive right to use my works without my consent. I want companies to be able to bid for that right. What's more, given that Google, since its merger with DoubleClick, is the number one source of spyware "cookies" on the Internet and is lobbying in DC to regulate and destroy my business as an ISP, Google is the company to which I would be least likely to agree to license my work.

--Brett Glass