Interesting People mailing list archives

phone tax on a wifi

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 06:49:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Craig Partridge <craig () aland bbn com>
Date: May 20, 2009 1:27:58 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: phone tax on a wifi

Hi Dave:

An amusing moment in our rapidly changing world.

I purchased a Verizon MiFi on Sunday (for those who don't know -- MiFi is
a credit card sized portable WiFi hub that uses Verizon EVDO to connect
to the rest of the 'net -- happy to send a review of my experience
after a few weeks if folks are interested).

As part of the sale process I received a breakdown of what I should expect
to see on my monthly bill.   It included local taxes for E911 service.
That's a tax on a device from which I cannot make a phone call (unless,
of course, I connect a VOIP device via WiFi).

In the locality's defense, the device does have a phone number. (I have
no idea what happens if someone tries to call it...).

Thanks!

Craig