Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: phone tax on a wifi

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 16:25:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Craig Partridge <craig () aland bbn com>
Date: May 22, 2009 9:42:59 AM EDT
To: Andrew C Burnette <acb () acb net>
Cc: dave () farber net, craig () aland bbn com
Subject: Re: [IP] phone tax on a wifi

Hi Andy:

Your argument here is completely correct if one starts with the premise that
the innards of the service matter.  My point was that from an external
perspective, I've purchased a WiFi device that is clearly not a consumer
handset (lacks handset or another other capacity to dial) and yet it is
being taxed as a phone.

Thanks!

Craig

PS: You seem to have taken my note as a implicit tax protest. I don't have any problem with E911 tax. I simply point out it is a strange application of
said tax.

Craig, Dave,

I'll only mention in passing that E911 and their customers (PSAPs,
police, fire, et al) are "broke" financially and is one tax that usually
gets spent as advertised.

In reality, the issue is that EV-DO is still a CDMA "telephony" product,
uses another [dedicated] RF channel next to the several a particular
provider uses for voice. It has a phone number, uses your number
(xxx-555-abcd () vzw3g com) for entry and authentication into the network.
The data call is technically identical to a phone call with a voice
switch circuit underneath.

Thus, I doubt verizon would want to spend the time/money trying to opt
out of the tax in front of so many state public utility commissions (my
SWAG).  (Vonage tried for years, and that's definitely a phone
product!). Note that the argument falls flat in the other direction
where many 3g phones also have EVDO capabilities for data.

I spoke with a friend at Clear/Sprint/XOHM/Clearwire (name of the week) and their WiMAX service doesn't carry the tax, as no telephony services
exist on it yet (yes, you can use skype, etc over WiMAX).

Best regards,
andy
p.s. if you want a better spend of political capital and subsequently
your E911 tax, how about pushing the PUC's to consolidate their PSAPs
(public safety access points) and use network based services. The
current systems in place across the country are designed for 1984, not 2009.

Begin forwarded message: