Interesting People mailing list archives

re TSA overreaction to Delta incident

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:15:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ed Biebel <edward () biebel net>
Date: December 26, 2009 3:08:47 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: amy () wohl com
Subject: Re: [IP] re TSA overreaction to Delta incident

Dave,

On note on Amy's comments below.  The primary reason for securing electronics during the beginning and end stages of
the flight has less to do with the electronics but more to removing distractions.

The two major classes of electronics really targeted are computers and music devices.  In the case of computers that
directive is geared to insuring bulky items such as laptops are secured so as not to block exit paths in the event of
an emergency evacuation.  (Imagine trying to climb over someone with their tray table down and laptop spread out.).  In
the case of music players, the directive is to insure that you aren't wearing earphones that would prevent you from
hearing emergency instruction / announcements.

The Kindle really doesn't fit either category but I would dare say that the flight crew probably doesn't want to get
into a long debate with passengers about why x electronic device is permitted versus y electronic device.

Patrick Smith, a former airline pilot and Salon columinst discusses many of these "rules" in his book "Ask the Pilot."
I highly recommend it for anyone interested in some of the background that drives some of the procedures you see in
commercial aircraft.

Ed