Interesting People mailing list archives

re TSA overreaction to Delta incident

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:02:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: December 26, 2009 2:59:35 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, amy () wohl com
Subject: Re: [IP] re TSA overreaction to Delta incident

From: Amy Wohl <amy () wohl com>
I am very tired of this charade and I have definitely tried to cut back my air travel (less travel altogether in favor of web conferences), more switching to train or car where possible.

As am I. I've cut back my air travel dramatically as well. This is security theater, pure and simple, with the goal still being to present the appearance of providing security by doing something more inconvenient. Because, we all know, security-through-inconvenience is the New Normal.

All it does is annoy the innocent and amuse the guilty. Our adversaries are laughing their collective you-know-what's off at this renewed flailing about in the name of homeland security. 'tis pathetic.
Perhaps we could volunteer to put together an “expert” group for the federal government?

Not likely. Common sense and Homeland Security do not necessarily combine in useful combinations. Besides, as security professionals and IP contributers, much of what WE deem common sense is considered classified by TSA/DHS as knowledge that could circumvent security. Can't have any of us original thinkers floating around, can we? Better to annoying the travelling public and/or sell the government zillion dollars of defective air puff scanners instead.....at least the Military Industrial Homeland Congressional Complex will be protected, and that's apparently Job Number One.

Rick
-infowarrior.org