Interesting People mailing list archives

definition of infrastructure

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:34:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk>
Date: April 15, 2009 12:55:51 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: [IP] Re:    cost of 1 gig GOOD POINT

Hi:

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Savage, Christopher" <ChrisSavage () dwt com>
Date: April 15, 2009 8:58:52 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:   cost of 1 gig GOOD POINT
...Richard's assertion masks what is, in the broadband and other arenas,
probably the critical question: What do we actually MEAN by
"infrastructure"?

I'd throw out, as a first approximation, infrastructure is something
that: (a) is capital intensive; (b) is long-lived; (c) is a necessary,
or at least a key, input to a wide variety of unrelated productive and
leisure activity; (d) is technologically relatively stable; and (e)
exhibits strong positive externalities....

FWIW, here's my attempt at a rather general definition of the term infrastructure:

The term infrastructure in general refers to an underlying set of
general purpose facilities. It is a matter of viewpoint whether these facilities are regarded as a system or an infrastructure, since one organization's system
often becomes another organization's infrastructure.
An infrastructure has connotations of being reusable by different
individuals/organizations for different purposes on different occasions.
Typically, not all of these uses are known to, or even the concern of, the designer(s) of the infrastructure, who therefore must create something that will respond to and support types of use that have not yet been conceived. Moreover, infrastructures typically need to be capacity engineered - so that the amount of resource can be changed to meet current and expected demand.
(Over-deployment endangers the supplier, under-deployment frustrates the
user.)

This comes from something I wrote a few years ago:

Dependability, Structure and Infrastructure
In Cyberspace Security and Defense: Research Issues,
Kowalik, J.S., Gorski, J. and Sachenko, A. (eds), pp 143-160
NATO Science Series II, 196
Springer, 2005, ISBN 1-4020-3380-X
http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/publications/books/papers/282.pdf

Cheers

Brian Randell

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK