Interesting People mailing list archives

A Canadian view cost of 1 gig - new business models needed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:32:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bill St. Arnaud" <bill.st.arnaud () canarie ca>
Date: April 15, 2009 10:41:35 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: <richard () bennett com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:   cost of 1 gig - new business models needed

While I agree with Richard that "As people migrate off traditional TV and phone services to IP-only service plans the revenue void needs to be filled
for a time..." the traditional approaches are not going to work

Over 100 years ago the telephone industry in North America faced the same problem and one of their more brilliant moves was to provide unlimited local calls which stimulated demand for long distance traffic, which through cross subsidy paid for the necessary local infrastructure. European PTTs, on the hand, largely implemented usage charges which resulted in much lower telecom
usage (and overall higher costs) in Europe.

We are facing the same problem with next generation broadband.  It is
unlikely that triple play will be able to underwrite the costs of the next generation broadband infrastructure, especially as over the top providers
provide free or low cost competitive services.  Hence we have argued for
some time that we need a creative new business model much like AT&T
developed many years ago for the telephone industry.

The one model we have been advocating (which at the end of the day may not be the right one) is provide free fiber and high speed Internet bundled with
your energy bill.  Energy is an essential service and a customer pays
substantially more for energy than they will ever pay for broadband.  A
small incremental increase on the energy bill can easily cover the cost of broadband - and the customer can also help save the planet by reducing their
energy consumption

http://free-fiber-to-the-home.blogspot.com/

Bill