Interesting People mailing list archives

Cerf on google voice

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:31:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Vint Cerf <vint () google com>
Date: April 15, 2009 11:53:18 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: google voice

Dave,

Of course we are interested in voice input to search or voiced interactions with other services. For one thing, this can be very beneficial for people who are unable to type or, in a broader sense, who may not be keyboard literate but can speak and hear.

As to sources for machine learning (Bayesian etc) for voice input, we do use the GOOG-411 inputs for this purpose but not the subsequent exchanges after a call is placed to a target merchant, etc. As Lauren has reported we record voice messages as one would expect for voice mail and will also attempt to transcribe them on request. Unless the Google Voice subscriber asks for it, we do not record voice calls received through Google Voice and if we do record those, that fact is announced to the other side of the call. As far as I am aware, however, we do not use these recordings for speech recognition training nor for any kind of targetting of advertising. Nor do we record outgoing calls, as Lauren reports.

The FAQs for these services are intended to be clear and accurate with regard to these questions and I am committed to improving that clarity and transparency if they appear to be deficient.

Vint