Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: cost of 1 gig GOOD POINT

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:35:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Press <lpress () csudh edu>
Date: April 15, 2009 3:43:44 PM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   cost of 1 gig GOOD POINT

Richard Bennett wrote:

> If we're going to have
FTTH or FTTN, we need to pay for a one-time upgrade in wiring. The least painful way to do that is to bundle triple-play services with Internet access

The building owner is another source for this investment. Verizon says connecting my home will cost roughly $1,000. I would gladly pay that if it meant I could get IP connectivity for anywhere near what people in Stockholm, Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong or other low-cost cities pay. I would see it as a capital improvement -- raising the value of my house -- not an expense.

I own my own sewer, water and gas lines and call a plumber when there is a problem. I would be happy to own my fiber as well.

Larry Press