Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Smart Grid and Cybersecurity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:01:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia.cmu () gmail com>
Date: April 14, 2009 6:36:43 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, david () abscott com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: The Smart Grid and Cybersecurity

Dave and David,

It's critical to get the issues of boundaries right.

Electricity T&D (transmission and distribution losses) in the US are only about 8%, or slightly lower, in the US. One has to be careful whether one is including conversion losses in *producing* the energy (in that case, the efficiency of a power plant is only some 30% for coal). Or, whether we are factoring in utilization losses. Lights, motors, etc. waste much of their energy.

For a REALLY NICE visual on energy flows, please see LLNL's work:
https://eed.llnl.gov/flow/images/LLNL_Energy_Chart300.jpg
http://www.nap.edu/reports/energy/images/sd/flow_enlarged.gif

In terms of Distributed Generation, yes, it would cut down T&D losses but that is not enough to justify the loss of scale. In-between options may be better - not individual homes and not mega power plants. Of course, individual systems make a LOT of sense when we think of co-generation (combined heat and power). Netherlands leads the way with such systems. The drivers for DG aren't just losses, but system stability, security, and more.

Rahul