Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Smart Grid and Cybersecurity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:47:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jerry Glomph Black <glomph () glomph com>
Date: April 12, 2009 4:41:34 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: The Smart Grid and Cybersecurity

Come on, guys: this whole imperative we are commenting upon is just another 'emergency' posited by vested interests. As in the emergency need to attack Iraq, or the emergency need for hundreds of billions of unaudited dollars to reward fraud.

Of course there are numerous optimisations that can be applied in efficiency, redundancy, security, etc., of the power generation & distribution systems. We've seen many good, simple ideas just on the IP list in the past few days. But hose are all too cheap.

It's clear that this thing is being scripted such that The Usual Suspects can feed at the public trough, generating crappy complex exorbitant lock-in solutions which will solve nothing except their need for bigger houses, cars, etc.

Change that I [used to] believe in.