Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Smart Grid and Cybersecurity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 08:27:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Date: April 11, 2009 2:23:05 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   The Smart Grid and Cybersecurity

Dave,

[I will leave other issues for others to discuss...]

The privacy issue is non-trivial. A (near) real-time meter doesn't just know if you're home or not, depending on the sampling rate, one can find out a lot more. There are documented cases of the police being informed by the power utility of "suspected marijuana" based on the load profile.

As an experiment, some researchers have been studying what information can be learned by ultra-sampling. It turns out one can tell if someone drinks caffeinated vs. decaf!

Rahul

Begin forwarded message: