Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Smart Grid and Cybersecurity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 06:14:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Stan Hanks" <stan () colventures com>
Date: April 13, 2009 8:26:30 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:    The Smart Grid and Cybersecurity

Just now getting around to my IP list mail today...

When we built the Enron network, installing fiber on power lines (google "optical ground wire") was fractional relative to the cost of digging the ground in putting in conduit. If I recall correctly, we spent something like $120k a mile to dig, and more like $25k per mile to install aerial optical ground wire. We only did this in a few spans, preferring to dig, but who wants to dig the Blue Mountains or the Sierras?

For most of those miles, it was replacement ground wire as well, that is, ripping out perfectly good ground wire and replacing it with ground wire plus fiber. If we'd had the ability to do it "from scratch" in a fresh build, the savings would have been significantly greater.

Stan