Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Madness: Bailing Out Greed in Wonderland

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:55:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: September 17, 2008 2:42:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:      Madness: Bailing Out Greed in Wonderland

I think the more general issue is that we need markets more than we need states. States seem much less relevant today. It almost seems like a joke that we depend on a narrowly US regulatory structure to deal with a problem that more than ever before transcends borders and power-bases. China's economy = WALMART. China provides the counterparty to much of the debt being used to "bail out" so-called "US" financial institutions. So regulating the US market too heavily can be nothing less than an act of war on the Chinese industrial system.

This is not the same as the 1930's.

It's a fantasy that markets fit within states, even approximately.

Begin forwarded message: