Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Kids.....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:06:14 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Date: November 13, 2008 4:22:35 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    re: Kids.....

Dave,

I can vouch for a student *formally complaining* when I didn't respond to her email about a HW due on Monday. Except the student emailed after 5 or 6 PM friday. And complained early Sat. morning.

Why is this? Part of this shift may be due to grade inflation and expectations. Are faculty also facilitating this? There are studies that show that a lenient or high-scoring faculty member gets better reviews/evaluations. Forget how well he/she served the students. Thus, faculty tend to want to "keep the customers happy". Universities are to blame for this in how they evaluate faculty.

I also think we have bi or multimodal distributions. Some students may be demanding, overly so, but others are quite deferential (esp. some international students). I certainly don't want submissive sheep for students. But I don't want students who think they are right by default.

Rahul

Begin forwarded message: