Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Kids.....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 20:45:30 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: November 15, 2008 6:23:07 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: Kids.....

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Tom Williams.  DLH]

From: Tom Williams <Tom () AirNetworking com>
Date: November 15, 2008 1:54:25 PM PST
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: [Dewayne-Net] re: Kids.....

This "entitlement" stuff is rich. My eight-year old already actsthis way, I can only hope she grows up before she gets to college.Seems like many haven't.

Why would anyone be surprised at this result?  The process
was well underway by the I was in high school (mid 1970s),
and if anything has accelerated.  Likely factors include
"social promotion," equality-of-outcome (versus
-of-opportunity), and efforts that looked noble at the time,
such as Title Nine and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The ridiculousness of the situation became clear when the
SAT test was redone in 1996 to make kids in the 1990s feel
like they were as well-educated as kids in the 1950s.

Two anecdotes to help you get to sleep: (1) At a college
where I once worked, we had a nursing student who maintained
that, under the ADA, her learning disability had to be
accommodated.  She was bad at reading numbers (e.g.,
whether to put .9 ml or 9 ml of a drug into a patient).
(2) A student -- same college -- went into the remedial
(my term) learning center one day late in the second
semester, to ask for help on his reading comprehension,
which was so bad he would not be able to pass an
upcoming proficiency test.  The facility director
offered him a tutor for Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
Unfortunately, he could not accept tutoring at those
times, as he was Student Teaching on those days.

Be very afraid.

-Tom Williams
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>