Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast web support only for IE users; ignores 20% of users using Firefox, other browsers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:09:15 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>
Date: November 19, 2008 5:45:15 PM EST
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: Comcast web support only for IE users; ignores 20% of users using Firefox, other browsers

exactly how one is supposed to run Internet Exploiter (of whatever
version) on a Mac is rather unclear since MS terminated development
efforts several years ago and MacOS X has evolved significantly since
then.

When I get back to my office (I'm at IETF 73 this week) I am converting over to a Macbook. (I converted my home machine to a Mac years ago.) I
plan to run VMware so that I can run selected Windows apps when
necessary. That's obviously a great feature of the Intel-based Macs of
the past few years.  But that's not really the point of your question,
it merely demonstrates the nice flexibility of Mac OSX...  ;-)

an answer of the form "your platform's market share means you don't
matter enough" only further demonstrates the
anti-competitive nature of this market.

We have well documented FAQs for customers, which apply to a variety of OSes and clients. I believe the original poster was asking about a fix to change their POP client to use port 587 instead of port 25 for SMTP.
We have FAQs that describe how to do this generally.  Those FAQs are
accessible to a wide array of browsers.  For example, here is the FAQ
for configuring Thunderbird to use port 587, and I just accessed it via the Chrome browser, as well as Firefox and IE8 beta (Safari should work
too):
http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/Configuring-Thunderbird-to-use-port-
587-for-sending-email  So the FAQs are widely accessible to major
browsers IMHO.

Several years ago, we developed one-click fixes to try to go above and
beyond basic FAQs, for customers who wanted us to make the fix for them automatically (not all customers are comfortable with this). I believe
these mainly use ActiveX and other IE-specific functions to enable the
majority of our customers to have an automatic fix. I'm confident that
many web sites have similarly used such IE-specific functions like
ActiveX in the past, as one of the other posters just noted.

That being said, the browser and OS market continues to evolve
(particularly in browsers), and we're sensitive to that.  The small
number of one-click fixes may currently be only for IE, but I am not
sure it is reasonable to conclude based on that that we're saying
customers using other browsers or OSes don't matter enough.  In any
case, we're doing a level of effort now for converting these one-click
fixes to an alternate method that would work for more browsers and OSes.

Regards
Jason